Sunday, March 9, 2014

Frog Prince?


A Fairy Godmother


I sit in dust and tatters while hearing
The giggles and prattling of my stepsisters
As they get ready for the ball.

No going to a ball for me!  Instead
I gather all the peas and carrots
My stepmother has thrown onto the floor.

Through my self-pitying tears, I glimpse
A shimmer that dazzles like many sunlit raindrops,
Then the metamorphosis begins
Like a butterfly emerging from it’s cocoon.

A pumpkin turns into a coach and my many mouse
Friends become a driver, footman, and horses too!
I, myself, spin around in wonder to find myself
Changed from an ugly duckling into a swan!

Will my dreams finally come true?
Will I get my heart’s desire?

@JoSH Poetic Popcorn Poetry 2014

I wrote this poem while in a writing class.  Writing classes give you ideas to write about.  I've always enjoyed fairy tales as a kid and this is a poem about Cinderella.  I remember dreaming about my prince charming when I was younger.  They say you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince.  Unfortunately that is very true but I have met some very nice frogs on the way.